Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Dance Teacher's View on NOT Bringing "Sexy Back"

Rhinestone bras and short shorts.
People yelling "Work it, Girl."
Songs with lyrics being "beeped out."
Girls running their hand down their leg and puckering.

Am I at a Gentleman's (and I use the term loosely) Club?  Nope.  Sadly, I'm at a dance competition and the young girls in the routines described above are in the 13-14 year old category. 

As a Christian dance studio owner and instructor, my heart breaks when I think of how much the dance world has changed over the past 26 years that I have been teaching - and not for the better, in my humble opinion.  But, then I realize - it isn't just the dance world....it's the REAL world.  

Our society is pushing harder and harder every day to make kids become something they're not: GROWN-UPS.    As a dance instructor and studio owner, I have worked with students, 95% of whom were girls, since I was 15 years old and have seen the trends growing more and more towards a culture where it's acceptable to dress and dance provocatively - even as young as early elementary school age children.   The choreography that would've made ANY audience blush 20 years ago now has parents cheering for their daughter and yelling things like "Work it girl!" and "Sexy!"

Let's just take that one last word, because I hear it a LOT in dance.  Sexy.  Thefreedictionary.com defines the word "sexy" this way:

sexy adj 
1. provoking or intended to provoke sexual interest 
2. feeling sexual interest; aroused
3. interesting, exciting, or trendy

Although I am strongly hoping that these dance parents, teachers and friends who are using this word in conjunction with their child are using the third definition, I question whether this REALLY IS a word that ANYONE would want used in the context of their child.  Should we really hear dance teachers or audience members telling a young teen dancer to "make it sexy" as they perform?  I hope MY dancers do NOT "make it sexy."  We are there to dance, perform, entertain and (something different than many studios), glorify God in our performance.

Now, please don't shut me down and click to the next blog because I mentioned God in this blog.  Although He is the center of my life, I am truly focusing on dance as an art form in a secular world for the purposes of this writing.  Whether Christian, Muslim, Jewish  another faith or absence of a faith, we MUST face the facts that we as a culture are sexualizing our children earlier and earlier.  Do we celebrate abstinence anymore as a nation, or do we simply say it "isn't practical" and write it off as a thing of the past.  Forget celebrating it, can we ACCEPT it as a choice that many people still choose and that's ok?!

I will close with a description of what I saw at one of the last dance competitions my students attended; incidentally, it was a part of this competition that made me feel a blog like this was necessary.

I feel the need to preface this, for the naysayers who will say this is just "sour grapes," with the fact that my girls are very successful at the competitions.  Although competitions are not our main focus, we have won national titles, numerous 1st overalls, high scoring numbers, etc.  This is NOT my attempt to make myself feel better about some loss, nor is this a chance to "toot our horn."  I just want to clear up any misnomers that I have ulterior reasons to write this or am exaggerating.

In February of this year, we attended a popular competition that holds a "Dance Down" at each of their regional events.  They market it as an audition class wherein dancers can learn a combination and audition for various scholarships in different venues.  All of us (parents, teachers, etc) were allowed to stay in our seats in the audience for the entire audition, watching the dancers on the stage, and by the end, I almost cried.  Not because my dancers did poorly - they actually did really well and several were semi-finalists.  The choreography given to the dancers was fine as well - very good technical jazz steps with some challenging turns and leaps and very upbeat.

But before the combination, came the freestyle.

In the dance world, the word "freestyle" simply means improvisation, or "making it up as you go along."  The dancers were asked to freestyle for the first section of the audition and were given free reign to do what came naturally, however, I was NOT prepared for what came naturally to many of these young dancers.  There were a few boys doing hip-hop freestyle, but the young ladies vastly outnumbered the boys and it was many of their improvisational dance that shocked me to the core.

To watch these girls "move naturally" was so revealing of the environments they've had for dance, their choreographic experience, their role models, teachers and even their parenting.  We watched as one girl licked herself, another girl was crawling on the stage edge and reaching out towards the judges very seductively.  Still another girl was rubbing herself all over and gyrating in such a way that I truly began to question for WHAT these girls thought they were auditioning.  I later found out that the last girl mentioned was 16 years old....and did end up winning one of the scholarships.

Why?

Why is this ok for our children?  

For me, it is not.  I have built my studio on the ideals that we will NOT exploit children, that we will NOT create dances that are "sexy" on our children and that lyrics, costuming, choreography and teachers as role models ALL shape the self esteem and general psyche of every child and should therefore be positive and age appropriate.  They will have to be grown-ups soon enough.  Let's let them be kids while they're kids!

My mother told me once that every pendulum swings all the way to one side before it comes back and eventually finds balance.  We are that pendulum and our kids are the ones that are imbalanced.  

Hope it swings back soon.

@


14 comments:

  1. Amen! Thank you for sharing Amy. It's refreshing to hear someone else speaking out about the provocative nature of our current society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan! I honestly think there are more people out there who agree than disagree, but are being pulled into the "this is just the way it is" mentality that we've seen in other instances throughout history. I see teachers play on the natural parental desire for their child to be loved by the world and the parents then give in to something they would normally question.

      Thanks for your feedback!
      @

      Delete
  2. Amy, this is so disturbing. I'm really debating how far I can let Caitlyn go at the cheer place where she is currently doing "intro to cheer." They have girls as young as 8 and 9 in tops that barely make it to their rib cage. WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THIS IS OK????????
    Preach it, sister!! You've got my FULL support!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Rebecca. I know - isn't it a shame that these patterns have affected ALL areas of kids' activities and growth? I'll message you a little info...

    Thanks for your support!
    @

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy- Thank you so much for putting into words what I have felt for a long time. My girls too belong to a reputable studio that doesn't use sex in their dancing. But it is highly disturbing to attend competitions and watch raunchy dancing rewarded. I really hope that the dance industry will soon see what they are creating. I will say that we recently attended the 24 seven dance convention, where the judged were the staff. I was very appreciative to see them reward "good" dancing. I also hope that the people making the Leo's, tops and shorts will also stop targeting our young girls. Califonia Kiss has been selling tops and bottoms that borderline on lingerie. I myself don't let my girls parade around out studio dressed like that. It isn't fair to the dad's in the studio to see developed girls walking around in bra tops and panties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your response and you are so right! It's really difficult to watch. I'll just keep on stepping on my soapbox and praying for change. :-) Thanks for reading!
      @

      Delete
  5. I just wanted to say thanks so much for writing this. I have a three year old daughter in dance and this has been her first year. I was so bothered by her "tap" outfit that I threw a fit and got in a dispute with her dance company. Of all the posts I've written this year, those two got the most comments - it's clearly in every nook and crany - http://www.gindivincent.com/2013/why-im-not-a-dance-company-mom/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read your blog, too! Nice writing - I'm so sorry that happened to you guys, though. So frustrating to have people in my profession representing the art that way. sigh.
      Thanks for reading!!!

      Delete
  6. Wow, this really captured some of my thoughts so far on the matter but was eye-opening (and saddening) as well. I have hope for our society as long as we have people like you standing up and speaking the truth. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, tony2456. Yes - it IS saddening. Hoping and praying my blog, my voice and my stance will continue to be heard! Thanks for reading!!! :-)

      @

      Delete
  7. Is there some other way to show self-expression? I know the "true" dancers do not dance to entertain or show off, but to help others to see who they really are. But my question is: why does it have to be "dance"? In our church, we dance as a form of worship, but it is not rehearsed or a performance. We as a body of Christ are not to be conformed to this world, but set apart. (I'm just sayin') Comments, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I love praise and worship dance, too. Our older students take time at the end of their technique classes to worship dance. Love it!
      God bless!
      @

      Delete
  8. I didn't see it anywhere, I would love for your studio to be where my granddaughters go. They are doing just as you say and it is very disturbing. I think my son might move them if he could find one that really stands behind wholesome principles. Do you by any chance talk with the students about the right an wrong with the different style of dance. Do the girls know what they are doing to the sons and even fathers. I hate to say it but some of what I have seen the older girls do at recitals could make men think or even do things they shouldn't. It can be hard on them. I have seen men get up and walk out when these dances begin so they can not be tempted. I know there are folks out there that might say I am crazy but come on.... as some of the men.

    There is plenty of beautiful dancing that does not need to be 'sexy' or taking things where they shouldn't go that I don't understand why the girls and even the young girls are told to do these things. And dress in some of the dress as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am very clear with my students of the limitations, restrictions, and WHY. My dancers know and we discuss that we want to always glorify God in our actions and we try to do our best.

      I do understand your points and they are very valid. I have heard those same points discussed at a Christian dance convention we attend.

      I wasn't sure, in your first sentence, if you were referring to not seeing the website? It is www.FootlightsDanceStudio.com if that is indeed what you were seeking. If not, no worries!

      Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!
      @

      Delete